Andrew’s Most Disappointing Films of 2013

With the film year coming to a close, and everyone finalizing their top ten lists, it seems like as good a time as any to not only talk about what we enjoyed this year, but what we didn’t. There were a lot of great films this year that caught my attention, and more than a few that I felt could have been great, but inevitably let me down. That is what this list is for. The movies I made people see on opening night because they looked promising, only to find out I was wasting everyone’s time. I think it’s important to note that these are in no way the worst films of the year, but the ones I had high hopes for that never really panned out.

5. Ender’s Game

To be fair I didn’t expect this movie to blow me away, but I had some hopes.  I really liked the book, and while I was wary after seeing the trailer, I thought they might be able to pull it off.  However, it didn’t really turn out, and I found Ender’s Game to be extremely generic with a quite poor sense of pacing.

4. Oz the Great and the Powerful

This one kind of just bummed me out. It was a movie that didn’t come together at all, it felt disjointed and awkward, it tried to do too much and kind of accomplished none of it.  I am a huge fan of director Sam Raimi, and felt like he tried to save it, but between the bad writing and plotting, it kind of couldn’t be saved.

3. Only God Forgives

So, this is kind of a weird one for me because I actually was very excited for this movie, and liked it quite a bit. That being said, It is a terrible movie. It was bizarre, almost laughable at points, and makes next to no sense as a cohesive story. But hey, it looked kinda cool.

2. Kick-ass 2

I was surprised by the first Kick-ass movie, as it actually turned out to be a smart play on the super hero genre and an immensely enjoyable film. When I heard they changed directors for the second one, I still held on the the hope that they could once again capture lightning in a bottle. And boy was I wrong. This movie played out like a bizarre cross between the original film and Mean Girls, and all the clever bits from the first film were replaced with cheap bathroom humor, culminating in what might have been the worst scene of the year, where characters where actually vomiting and shitting themselves on screen.

1. Gravity

As for my radical opinion of the year, here it is. I sort of hated this movie. Alfonso Cuaron is easily one of my favorite directors, and this was by farm my most anticipated film of the year. Man, was it a let down. I expected something really special out of this, and instead felt like the plot was predictable, the characters were flat and I had trouble relating to them or caring about them at all. It was just one miraculous event after another as the characters narrowly avoid death, to the point where there’s no real danger of things actually killing the protagonist.

9 thoughts on “Andrew’s Most Disappointing Films of 2013

1. Niejan January 2, 2014 / 9:08 am

I agree with all your points except for Gravity and Ender’s Game because I haven’t seen those two yet. I’d read that a lot of people liked Gravity, and now that you mention it being your most disappointing movie of the year, I am really looking forward to watching it.

• Andrew King January 2, 2014 / 9:27 am

At a movie that is poised to possibly win best picture this yeah, I was pretty disappointed with it. It’s still worth seeing, it looks great and I know the majority of people really loved it.

2. keith7198 January 2, 2014 / 9:53 am

Good stuff! I’m in the opposite corner with Gravity. I loved it. Didn’t really Mind Oz but it really was forgettable.

3. bck1402 January 3, 2014 / 5:00 am

Only God Forgives is really one divisive movie falling into the either-you-love-it-or-hate-it category.
    Can’t say what my expectations for Ender’s Game was, but the others… well…
    Maybe Gravity would work better if you take it that the last third is all just a dream. Especially if coupled with that short film that the younger Cuaron made. End it there… with that burning rocket blazing across the sky. A little bleak, but would have been better.

• Andrew King January 3, 2014 / 5:31 pm

I would have liked that a lot more actually, but I don’t think there is enough in the movie to make that leap.

4. flashbackbackslide January 4, 2014 / 6:22 pm

Couldn’t agree more about Ender’s Game and Only God Forgives. “Generic” is a great description for Ender’s. My expectations were low going in but not low enough. And Only God Forgives really didn’t work for me. I couldn’t tell if I just wasn’t getting the movie or if there wasn’t anything there and it didn’t make sense. I’m glad to see that others thought it’s story was jumbled and awkward.

• Andrew King January 5, 2014 / 11:17 am

Yeah I read some interviews with refn about what he thought he movie was about and I got absolutely nothing out of the movie that he mentioned. Thought it was an interesting art film but not a very good one.

5. gregory moss January 11, 2014 / 7:36 pm

I kinda’ agree with you on Gravity, Andrew. The script definitely could have done with a few more drafts. And Only God Forgives was utterly reprehensible – just as pointless as The Counselor. What were these films trying to say exactly?

• Andrew King January 11, 2014 / 9:18 pm

I never actually got around to seeing The Counselor but that’s exactly what I heard from everyone else.